Do you have questions pertaining to your heating and cooling needs? Check out a list we’ve compiled of frequently asked questions to see what our customers wonder about the most. Don’t see your question below? Give us a call at 317.888.9111 and we’d be happy to answer it!
- What are MERV ratings?
- MERV stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. MERV ratings measure the performance of air purifiers, specifically ones that are intended to clean the whole household or building. MERVE ratings range from 1 to 16, with the higher numbers meaning the purifier is more efficient.
2. Why is the air flow in my house lower than it used to be?
- The filter may be clogged. If you use a high MERV filter and don’t change it enough, it will restrict the air flow. If you use a low rated filter (a filter that will only catch large particles of dust), it may have let enough dust through and clogged up the cooling coil or the blower wheel.
3. I have a lot of dust in my house, what can I do?
- If you have a lot of dust in your house, you can install a new “Media Filter” with a MERV rating. You should also consider having your ducts cleaned as well.
4. Why is there ice build up on my A/C in the middle of the summer?
- Ice build up can be caused by low air flow or a leak in the refrigerant lines may have developed. Low refrigerant will cause the indoor coil and the outdoor unit to freeze up, even in the summer!
5. Why are some of the rooms a different temperature from the rest of the house?
- If they started out in the same temperature from the rest of the house, you should check to see if the supply or the returns have been blocked with furniture.
6. Why is the upstairs of my home hotter than the rest of the house?
- Hot air naturally rises. With today’s open concepts, air can move more freely around the house and the hot air settles upwards. You can run the fan on your furnace in the on position to help alleviate the temperature difference. We may also be able to install a zone system to help as well.
Breedlove Dobbs Heating and Cooling has been proudly serving Indianapolis and its surrounding areas for more than 30 years. For all of your heating and cooling needs, give us a call at 317.888.9111 to schedule your free estimate and appointments today!