Proactive heating and cooling maintenance, care, and upkeep is one of the best ways to prevent future problems and avoid unwanted costs like the need for repairs or complete replacement of your current heating or air conditioning system.
An annual preseason check-up during the spring and fall by Breedlove Dobbs allows you to get a jump on your unit’s peak usage period, and help maintain performance by detecting problems early, and fixing them before they disrupt service and leave you and your family in an uncomfortable position.
A typical heating and cooling maintenance check-up from Breedlove Dobbs includes:
- A check of thermostat settings – and recommendations on how to optimize them.
- Tightening all electrical connections, and measuring voltage and current on motors.
- Lubrication of all moving parts to reduce friction in motors, and reduce electricity used.
- Checking and inspecting the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode). A plugged drain can cause water damage in the house and elevate indoor humidity levels.
- Checking system controls to ensure proper and safe operation, including making sure the system starts, operates and shuts off as designed.
Most care, repairs, and service of your HVAC unit is best left to skilled and experienced professionals, no matter how handy you consider yourself. But some home maintenance tasks can be added to your own to-do list as you prepare for upcoming seasonal check-ups or heating and cooling service:
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils.
Dirty coils reduce the system’s ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check your central air conditioner’s refrigerant level and adjust if necessary.
Too much or too little refrigerant will make your system less efficient, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Clean and adjust blower components to provide proper system airflow for greater comfort levels.
Airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15%.
- Check all gas connections, gas pressure, burner combustion and heat exchanger. Improperly operating gas (or oil) connections are a fire hazard and can contribute to health problems.
- A dirty burner or cracked heat exchanger causes improper burner operation.
Either can cause the equipment to operate less safely and efficiently.
- Inspect, clean or change air filters once a month in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump.
A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to early failure.
Breedlove Dobbs is an Indianapolis heating and cooling company, proudly providing HVAC repair and heating and cooling maintenance to our customers in Indianapolis and Central Indiana.
Want to save money on your heating and air conditioning system’s bi-annual tune-up? Sign up for our Comfort Guard preventative maintenance program and receive:
- 24-hour emergency service
- No overtime charges
- 10% discount on repair services after service call fee
- Two annual tune-ups, with reminders sent when it’s time to schedule