Heating & Cooling Maintenance in Indianapolis
Proactive care and upkeep of your heating and air conditioning system is one of the best ways to prevent future problems and avoid unwanted costs.
Annual preseason check-ups allow you to get a jump on your unit’s peak usage period, and help maintain performance by detecting problems early, and fixing them before they disrupt service.
A typical maintenance check-up from Breedlove Dobbs includes:
- A check of thermostat settings – and recommendations on how to optimize them.
- Tightening all electrical connections, and measuring voltage and current on motors.
- Lubrication of all moving parts to reduce friction in motors, and reduce electricity used.
- Checking and inspecting the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode). A plugged drain can cause water damage in the house and elevate indoor humidity levels.
- Checking system controls to ensure proper and safe operation, including making sure the system starts, operates and shuts off as designed.
Most care and service of your HVAC unit is best left to skilled and experienced professionals. But some home maintenance tasks can be added to your own to-do list:
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils.
Dirty coils reduce the system’s ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check your central air conditioner’s refrigerant level and adjust if necessary.
Too much or too little refrigerant will make your system less efficient, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Clean and adjust blower components to provide proper system airflow for greater comfort levels.
Airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15%.
- Check all gas connections, gas pressure, burner combustion and heat exchanger. Improperly operating gas (or oil) connections are a fire hazard and can contribute to health problems.
- A dirty burner or cracked heat exchanger causes improper burner operation.
Either can cause the equipment to operate less safely and efficiently.
- Inspect, clean or change air filters once a month in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump.
A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to early failure.
Want to save money on your heating and air conditioning system’s bi-annual tune-up? Sign up for our Comfort Guard preventative maintenance program and receive:
- 24-hour emergency service
- No overtime charges
- 10% discount on repair services after service call fee
- Two annual tune-ups, with reminders sent when it’s time to schedule